Saturday, October 10, 2009

Finnegan Begin Again

We had some drama a couple of weeks ago...and now I'm in the aftermath.


Twice last week our power went out. For the normal family, that just means resetting all your clocks, waking up late for school and maybe missing some stuff that was set to record on the DVR. Not for us. We have a home-based web hosting business and whenever the power goes out we have 15 minutes to get the servers shut down properly so our clients don't lose any data. And sometimes even though you do everything right...computers don't like having to go into time out.

So, even though we did do everything right...one server crashed and we lost data on the hard drive. The back-up had seemed as if it had been performing properly, but it really wasn't and my poor husband spent the bulk of his Wednesday trying to recover what he could, having help from the office for data recovery, both of us on the phone with crabby clients who wanted to know why their websites were down...and very, very stressed out.

I felt awful for him. Luckily there weren't many paying clients who had data on that server (we have 3), but those who were lost almost everything. Projects he had nearly completed are being done all over again. His quest for his new laptop is now behind schedule and he really needs to get it before a business trip to L.A. in November.

Amongst the carnage was my blog. I didn't quite realize how extensive the loss was until today and it's making me sad. I thought it was only the new stuff that was gone...but no, it's everything. Everything that was written before we were married and when I was first falling in love with him. The things I wrote on our wedding day and in the early days of our marriage and when I'd first moved here. The things I wrote when Ava was first born and I couldn't talk to anyone without crying and the only way I could get anything out was to type through my tears. Every stupid mistake, every faded memory...all of it, every word...gone...my heart is gone, lost to cyberspace. I guess I took it for granted that they wouldn't go anywhere, or that they were safe....somewhere.

So now I have to start over...a clean slate...on a laptop that I knocked coffee onto this week, so the keys are sticky. Pick myself up, dust myself off and start over. That's what every day is, right, mercies renewed in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment